Friday, May 22, 2009

Locking Doors

For some reason my heart has been very tender lately. Events and words have touched me in ways I normally don't allow them to. Maybe it's the particular holiday coupled with the friends who have passed away recently. I think a lot of it has to do with trying to understand the things I'm learning - some of it from books and some of it just straight from life. A wonderful book I've added to the bag of books I carry around with me is "The Continous Atonement" by Brad Wilcox. The concepts he talks about have made the Atonement so much more understandable. When I begin to understand a deep concept, I always start to worry that it's been oversimplified and therefore has lost some of its sacredness. But this book hasn't made me feel that way.

I have never read the parable of the Good Samaritan and known it to also be an analogy of Christ and His Atonement. Not only has Christ rescued us and patched up our wounds, but He has gone beyond that and paid extra so that we can become even better than we were before we became injured. That was a definite epiphelation! When I take what I read in that book and couple it with the books I'm reading on the Laws of Attraction and believing in yourself, it just seems to be creating a volcanic eruption inside of me and I'm not sure I understand it.

I've always loved the story of the woman who knew if she could just touch Jesus' robe, she would be healed. I've related to that story differently throughout my life - sometimes I'm working my way through the crowd (the worldy temptations and trials) and actually getting quite close to Christ and other times I'm allowing myself to be crowded out, moving farther and farther away from the one person I know can help me heal myself. Maybe this is just one of those times when I'm being a little more aggressive with what's coming in between me and Christ.

Rambled again. Just wanted to try and sort out my thoughts. I decided I've been given a huge mansion with the charge of securing it. This mansion is full of hallways and every hallway is lined with doors. Each one of those doors opens to a small room and in each of those rooms is a bag with a lock on it. If there's any mess in the room, I have to sort it out and stuff it in the bag and lock the bag. Then I put the bag in the far corner and shut and lock the door to that room. I have to do that with every room and then I can lock up the whole house. Maybe the more rooms I get locked up, the closer I'm getting to touching the corner of the hem of the robe of my Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment