Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Do-Overs

I've decided maybe I don't want do-overs. When I play computer games like solitaire and can keep playing the exact same hand over and over, choosing different moves each time to see how the outcome is changed, I've often thought that it would be cool if life was like that. Maybe not replaying my 'whole' life. Maybe just getting an opportunity to replay bits and pieces or an experience or situation here and there.

Anyway, I don't think I'd be happy. The first time through, I'm brave and naive and curious and excited with all the new. Each additional time through the same hand, though, I find the choices are not as exciting and the outcome is more predictable in contrast to the surprises in the first experience. I don't think the ending is any better 'knowing' what's coming, either. Maybe I win because, the sixth time playing the same exact hand, I know which cards to play and which ones to stay away from, but what have I missed along the way? If I sail smoothly through and win, am I any better for having missed the learning experiences associated with random choices? The challenge is gone.

I think I'll keep with doing my best the first (and only) time through and build my knowledge and strategies with each additional hand. Like I really have a choice anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment