Sunday, July 26, 2009

I'm Spoiled

I know I'm spoiled. Alan's so good to take me camping on a whim! We made it to Power House over the Pioneer Day weekend. We pretty well got the last available spot but it was great - of course. It rained just enough to remind that Heavenly Father also has a sense of humor and that seems to have become our personal little joke this year! There was no testosterone challenge this time. Alan didn't try to overstep his capacities - or the capacities of his HomeLite.

Amber & Hunter came up a couple of times. Nellie came for supper Friday and brought Tyler and Layne - that was an unexpected surprise! Grampa took us on a hike and we enjoyed the creek and all the wild flowers.

Alan and I went hiking Saturday morning. I have to say I was wondering, if heat rises, why do we go to the mountains to cool off? Even though the thermometers in the vehicles all registered a 20° drop in temperature by the time we reached Power House, I still spent a vast majority of the time sweating. I did have some epiphelations (combination of an epipheny and revelation - like an 'oh-duh' moment) while hiking, though.

The trail was rocky and uphill and it reminded me of the Death March we went on in June. There was a difference, though, and it took me a minute to figure it out. On the Death March, we were headed somewhere in particular - the cave. No matter what condition the trail, it's easier for me when I have a goal on the outset. It's easier to keep going when I know there's something waiting at the end that will make it all worth it instead of walking aimlessley wondering when I have gone as far as I want to go and should turn around.
At a fork in the road, almost unnoticed because of the overgrown grass and flowers, is the sign giving the names of the different trails and the directions to take. It was not easily visible. I had to walk off the trail a ways so I could get close enough to take the pictures. I wonder how many signs I miss because they're not stuck right out in front of my face, making it easy to recognize them? Actually, I guess I'll never know the answer to that question. I wonder how many wrong roads I took because I didn't take the time to look for the signs?

If I take pictures while we are hiking, they're mostly of Alan's backside because that's all I usually see. My knees do better if I can take it slower. Going slower and pacing myself gives me a chance to look around and enjoy the beauty of it all, too. Coming back down, we were almost at our starting point before I even realized it and that caused me to think. When I'm struggling a little with a rocky path or an uphill trail, I tend to pay attention to my surroundings more. I'm going slower, trying to be aware of everything I'm going through or past or around. Coming back down of course, was easier and I hadn't paid attention to anything. I hadn't appreciated any of the sights and sounds - except for the pesky blow fly who felt entitled to a free ride down the mountain - like I had going up. It didn't take me long to realize that's the way I go through life, too. When it's easy, I don't end up with anything much and really, overall, don't enjoy the journey as much. When it's rougher going, I'm more aware of everything else in my world and have a greater desire for my Heavenly Father to be aware of me, too. Just random epiphelations.
As for the blow fly, it's been a long time since I was that annoyed by something. That's maybe why I got down the mountain so fast. Chalk another one up for Janis, too, I even continued on up the trail after having to walk through the creek that ran across the trail. I had to think about it but I crossed it - and lived to tell about it!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder to always watch for and enjoy the little things around us. It was yummy dinner, I'm glad we were able to come up. And I'm very proud of you for braving that HUGE river. :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete