Sunday, August 16, 2009

Yes, It Rained Again!

Alan and I parked the trailer up Franklin Basin something or other on Wednesday and I went back up Thursday night to have some 'quiet time'. I was a basket case by the time I found the trailer between leaving later than I intended and forgetting small, minute parts of the directions (like bridges and rights instead of lefts). We'd backed the trailer into the trees so well that I was sure it had been stolen. I got settled in and stuff put away and was feeling pretty comfortable when a flash of light went past the trailer windows on one side. I was sure it was someone with a flashlight but just as I was going for the scissors (always my first weapon of choice), the clap of thunder shook the surrounding air. Well, I'm at 100% this summer for getting rained on while camping! Not a big deal. I can take a joke.

Did I mention, however, that we were backed up into the trees? Really tall, aspen and pine trees? I mean, lightening rod tall. So obviously as the thunder and lightening continued, I started to . . . not really panic, but make plans in case I had to make a hasty retreat. I packed up some of my personal stuff that I had unpacked. Put my laptop and camera under the kitchen table so if a tree did fall on the trailer, hopefully the table would protect the equipment (kind of like school kids under their desks in an earthquake). Then I started working up scenarios in my brain of 'acts of God' that could possibly happen and what I would do if they did. My thinking was four-fold: it was dry so lightening could possibly start a forest fire; I was under tall trees so lightening could turn one (or more) of them into premature firewood for some future camper (with a Husqvarna); since the bowhunt was starting on Saturday, there could be drunk hunters out there who had lost their way back to their own camp; and, last but not least, bears.

There is a little light at the front of the trailer, kind of like the little light that illuminates a truck bed while you unload it. To cover the first two possibilities, I thought maybe I should turn that little light on. After all, I was tucked back so far I'd even had a hard time seeing the trailer and I knew it was there. If emergency people were clearing the area, they might not look beyond a once over if nothing caught their attention. So, I flipped the light on and tried to go to sleep. That's when the third scenario came into view in my little mind. What if my light attracted some drunken hunter who'd gone into the woods for various reasons and lost his bearings or maybe a hunter had fallen out of one of those little shelves they put up in trees to sit on and watch for animals and hit his head and was deliriously lost? Maybe it would be better if no one could see me. Hmmm. Leave the light on and die at the hands of a drunken or delirious hunter or turn the light off and die in a forest fire or under a lightening-felled tree? I jumped up and turned the light off. And, actually, once I made that decision, said a few prayers and zipped myself up in my sleeping bag, the thunder became fainter as it moved around me and brought just a gentle rainstorm. Sigh of relief! At least now I was calm enough to figure out what I'd do if a bear should lumber into my camp and smash his hand through one of the windows.

Since I'd given Nellie directions, the same directions I remembered and had left out the bridge and the difference between right and left and when each one was appropriate, the next morning I rode Alan's bike down to the entrance of this particular area and proceeded to leave your typical redneck paper plate and duct tape signs. I then parked Grampa's bike a little ways in front of the trailer. After all that effort, the bike was the only sign they saw and recognized. It was a fun camp, of course. Hikes and bike rides and good food. And, see the earlier post, birthday cake and homemade ice cream! While the ice cream was freezing, Grampa had the captive audience he needed to tell his scarey skunk stories around the campfire. Can it get any better? There was another thunderstorm Friday night and more rain - even into Saturday morning but the kids made stew out of the mud and we got to go into Bear Lake for milkshakes. So, I say again, can it get any better?

I love this beautiful world Heavenly Father has created. It is magnificent. Whenever I get back in the mountains, I wonder what the pioneers thought when they saw all this for the first time. Probably not totally consumed with its awesome beauty as I'm sure they saw if for the ruggedness and challenges that it also possessed. I'm glad they stuck it out, though!

2 comments:

  1. I just got caught up on your posts! I think someone had a slight case of ANXIETY while camping! It sounded just like me! I was laughing thinking how much it sounded like me! I am glad that none of your fears came true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Janis, for sharing your experiences and taking time to make your blog attractive and interesting. I enjoy hearing about your family so much. You are certainly building memories for your children and grandchildren. Oh, the stories they will tell. Love you.

    ReplyDelete