Thursday, October 8, 2009

Did You Know. . .

Mary Traverse died a couple of weeks ago. She was the 'Mary' in 'Peter, Paul & Mary'. I mention that now, not only because I like - love - Peter, Paul & Mary, but because I got to act out one of the songs they sang so harmoniously - Leaving on a Jet Plane.



Yup, I did it, left on a jet plane. I think it was a jet. It was certainly smaller than I expected. My first clue regarding its size was when they announced from the boarding gate that any carry-ons larger than a duffle bag would need to be "Pink Tagged" and left in the JetWay. The plane was too small to store any of the larger carry-ons. Which, by the way, they'd said nothing at all about on the website and during all the confirming and reminding and such. All "Pink Tagged" bags would be waiting in the JetWay at O'Hare to be picked up. I had a quick little vision of a scene from Bewitched or Star Trek where something was there one minute and in some other planetary system the next. However they did it, though, it worked.



My second clue as to the size of the plane was when we started actually boarding. The door was tiny. I seriously did a double take before reaching it. I wasn't sure I could do it. Then I convinced myself it was only a door and doors open up into much larger spaces. Hmmm. Not always that much bigger. Any flight attendant working on this airplane would have to weigh less than 100 lbs and have no body in her hair whatsoever. My seat # was 20D. May I just tell you now, there were only 20 rows of seats and, of course, 'D' was against the wall. Not window - wall. I'm pretty sure seat 20D is situated directly over one of the two GE Turbo Engines that help keep the plane in the air (I read the little info card situated directly behind my barf bag in the seat pocket in front of me). I tried not to think about emergency landings, crash landings, storage compartment doors flying open and duffle bags flying out, engines catching fire or me being trapped here in this corner flailing my arms wildly while biting, scratching and screaming my way out from underneath it all. I guess maybe smaller planes don't have the smoothest rides, either, because it was pretty bumpy. But. . . I made it!!!!!!



I stepped off the plane into the JetWay, found my "Pink Tagged" carry-on had been beamed to Chicago just like they said it would be and then walked down the corridor into a new world. I just stood there. Going from a claustrophobic position to more space than I knew what to do with was a little overwhelming. Talk about Country Rat visits City Mouse! All that aside, I had to go to the bathroom. No way was I going to see how small the lavatory facilities were on that little plane! I figured it was best to go now while I was still somewhat lost and disoriented.



Well, that was the best decision I have ever made! They have the coolest toilets! It perked me right up to the point I had to take a picture. You pass your hand over a sensor and the plastic cover on the toilet seat rotates to place a clean seat cover for you. Of course my dear sweet Amber had to question as to whether or not it was actually a 'clean' one or they were just rotating through the same ones. I have to believe it was a clean one. Sometimes you just have to take things on faith! I guess I should have actually taken a video of it as it rotated. Oh, well, take my word for it.



Anyway, I'm here. Betty and Allen were waiting for me, just as they said they would be - with smiles but no signs (and no guns). And I have my own room with a basket of chocolate and other yummy stuff and Max in the fridge. What can I say???

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you are in Chicago? How nice. Enjoy your visit. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you made it without actually freaking out or having a panic attack. :) Enjoy your visit...next time take me too! It's been hard not calling you 20 times a day for random things, so you better come home soon! Love ya! tell everyone hello for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Nellie- I miss being able to call or text about any stupid thing I think about! I'm glad you are enjoying your visit & that Betty is taking good care of you! RTILYABAAP

    ReplyDelete