Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Answer Me This

Seems like I'm always playing catch-up - trying to find answers to questions and dilemmas and situations and scenarios and what-ifs that are flying into my face faster than I can count and keep track of. I guess that's like having your body ache, though, it reminds you you're alive. As long as I'm searching for answers, it means there's still questions and I'm still alive and kicking against the pricks.



Another wonderful day in Primary Sunday, though. The children are learning the song, "He Sent His Son". Personally, from a feeble pianist's point of view, I don't like the song. It hangs me up every time and I always finish it with everything shaking from my fingertips to my batwings. It is beautiful, though, and after Sunday, the message is even more personal to me.



The chorister (who is the absolute best there is!!! hands down!!!) was explaining the parts of the song to the children by breaking it down. "How many times do we sing the word, 'Son'?" and "Listen as it asks a question and then gives the answer." Then he divided them into different groups and had one group stand up and sing the question and then the next group would stand up and sing the answer. The most tender part was when he divided the children from their teachers. The children sang the question and the teachers sang back the answer. It was especially touching in the Junior Primary where you could barely hear those angelic little voices asking the important questions.



Anyway, everyone of the answers contained the word 'Son', meaning the Son of God. Could this also mean that every situation that questions my mind, every dilemma that causes me to wonder why, every what-if and how-come and why-so: all of these answers lie in the Son of God? Believing in Him, following Him, trusting in Him, loving Him and accepting His love in return?



"That's a little simplistic", the Shark voice echoes from off my left shoulder somewhere. "Maybe so," I fling back at him, "but I'll take that answer over wild-goose chasing ships in the bottomless ocean just to get splintered in the end (I won't say which end, either)!"



Here's the words to the song, if you're not familiar with it. You can decide for yourself if the answers are acceptable to you:



He Sent His Son
Children’s Songbook, 34–35


How could the Father tell the world of love and tenderness?
He sent his Son, a newborn babe, with peace and holiness.
How could the Father show the world the pathway we should go?
He sent his Son to walk with men on earth, that we may know.
How could the Father tell the world of sacrifice, of death?
He sent his Son to die for us and rise with living breath.
What does the Father ask of us? What do the scriptures say?
Have faith, have hope, live like his Son, help others on their way.
What does he ask? Live like his Son.


Words: Mabel Jones Gabbott, b. 1910
Music: Michael Finlinson Moody, b. 1941
© 1982 by Mabel Jones Gabbott and Michael Finlinson Moody. Arr. © 1989 IRI
This song may be copied for incidental, noncommercial church or home use.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mom. I needed to be reminded of that too. I love you!

    ReplyDelete