Thursday, April 1, 2010

Oh, Great. She's Had Another Ah-Ha Moment.

There is nothing for you to go back and live over, or fix, or feel regret about now. Every part of your life has unfolded just right. And so --now -- knowing all that you know from where you now stand, now what do you want? The answers are now coming forth to you. Go forth in joy, and get on with it.  --Abraham


When I was in college, I took a pattern design class the last real semester I was in the Home Economics Department and the first semester after we were married. It's history by now that Nathan was a honeymoon baby so by the time school started up again after Christmas break and all the basic learning materials were covered, my body was starting to change. Of course, in this pattern design class, I was supposed to be learning how to design a pattern of my own creation. As it turned out, it was also supposed to be a pattern that could be constructed to fit -- you guessed it -- none other than me. Well every day I would attend class, which I believe was three times a week, my measurements had changed and I would have to start over designing the pattern. When I realized I was falling behind because I couldn't get past the actual making of the pattern, I went to the teacher with my dilemma and it was decided I would just have to design a top with a yoke and the body of the blouse would basically hang straight down from there, rather than trying to fit the rest of my constantly transitioning body. So, I probably didn't learn as much in that class as I could have had I not been pregnant. One thing I do remember learning is the concept that it is pretty well impossible to alter or adjust only one part of the pattern. Making one adjustment always affects another area, either positively/negatively or directly/indirectly. I was at work the other day when I realized the full blown concept of that.


No drumroll is necessary for this because I'm sure everyone else has already grasped it and moved on. However, this is me we're talking about. I know that the choices I have made have put me where I am today and made me who I am. But I hadn't wrapped my head around that entire process until the other day when I realized that the choices of people close to me or that I have - even ever so briefly - come in contact with have also put me where I am today and made me who I am. I was talking to somebody here and they referred to my line of thinking as the "Butterfly Effect" and I'd never thought of that really. But no one has entered my life without leaving me a little changed. How that change is manifested is where my choices come into play, I guess.


The people here where I work have all had an impact on how I feel, how I see things, the speed at which I now judge. But I wouldn't have been as open to them had it not been for events and people who entered my life years ago. And I'm sure in a few years I'll be facing a situation where what I'm going through today will influence how I choose to behave then.


Dart here, tuck there means added length somewhere else.

3 comments:

  1. People come into our lives for a reason. They are the instruments through whom God works. They are the hands to carry forward his purposes. Someone will make an impression that WILL impact our lives at some point. It happens all the time to me. Even my sisters make an impact on my life and inspire me. And the results are astonishing. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Butterfly Effect theory and believe it's true. You have changed my life for the better and it's so much fun keeping in touch through our blogs. The months are rolling by....September is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete