Thursday, July 8, 2010

Butterflies





What does "It is what it is" really mean? People are saying it all the time to me lately. In fact, I can't count the number of times I've heard it in the last year. Each time I hear it I think, "There's a reason I'm hearing this. I need to remember this." Yet even though I remember it, I don't really understand what it means so it's not really helping me to remember it. But I can't seem to forget it.




And, because I do believe people come into my life for a reason and those same people say things to me for a reason, I have been led to repeat that phrase to others in a various array of circumstances. And I can spout it out with all the dignity and grace of any great motivational leader. Heck, I can even say it so convincingly that you'd think I'd actually coined the phrase myself.



Answers? What does "It is what it is" mean? Is it like one of those theorems I had to memorize in geometry where if A=B and B=C, then A=C? So if it is = it is, then it isn't = it isn't but it is ╪ it isn't and it isn't ╪ it is? Must I learn what 'is' so I will know what 'isn't' and therefore 'know' that neither side of the equation can be changed?



Wait a minute. My sister has a quote on her blog that says something to the effect that if there was no change, there would be no need for butterflies and I strongly believe in butterflies.



The Butterfly Effect basically says that all it takes it the wispy flap of a butterfly's wings to produce enormous consequences far, far away. Well, then that would lead one to believe that it is = it is . . . at least until a butterfly moves.



It is stated that I have butterflies in my stomach when I am nervous. And usually I am nervous not only because I don't like what 'is' but because I don't like my level of involvement with what 'is' and so I am going to be altering 'it'. Once again . . . change.



So . . . is 'it' what 'it' is or not?

4 comments:

  1. It is what it is--oh whatever! I love butterflies but not in my stomach. I crocheted butterflies once for the sisters in the LHC Relief Society that I worked with. Christy let butterflies loose at her wedding. Butterflies are beautiful but not in my stomach. That's it--it is what it is--does that mean "deal with it"? I'm just trying to be crazy today. I just got up. My first blog was about reading about no water in Malad and poop on the floor. That's it. I love my sisters and their families. I get to go to the doctor today. Keep your blog going, Janis, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lost me when you started talking about the math stuff. But that doesn't surprise you, does it. :) But I agree. It is what it is. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, hold on. I'm going to get deep here. Since I believe that we, ourselves, attach meaning to everything, that "it is what we THINK it is". Janis and Sharon, you may see something as being "is" in a totally different way than I would see that it "is". On that serious, solemn remark I'll just say "I is what I think I is."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty, you complicated my problem even more and Sharon and Nellie took the chicken way out and just agreed with it. I guess it is what it is and I'll get nothing else!

    ReplyDelete