Saturday, September 4, 2010

No Room For a Sneeze





Another of my favorite children's books. I remember reading this fable when I was a little girl. I don't know for sure why it stuck with me. Maybe it was the overall concept. Maybe at some level I was understanding mind over matter. Who knows. After unloading a trailerful of Joe and Mandy's belongings into my house, I feel like the main character in this book, too!



Basically, the old man and old woman are unhappy with the small size of their house and go to the Wise Man for advice on how to get a bigger house. Several trips to the Wise Man later, they have everything they own moved inside the walls of their 'too little' house. Exasperated, they return once more to the Wise Man, hoping for some more useful advice this time. It still takes several trips before they are able to 'realize' their bigger house. I guess you'll have to read it to discover for yourself how the Wise Man was able to get the old man and woman into a bigger house.



As I walk through my house, with several {and assorted in nature} reminders of Joe and his family in most every corner, nook and cranny, I'm amazed at how the house absorbed so much. It will be interesting to see just how much bigger my house becomes at that future date when they come and get it all. Maybe I'll go through the whole gamut of emotions this move has created all over again because then it will definitely be permanent. That should be fun!



Coolest thing, though, is I can blame it on Joe and Mandy for not being able to clean as well as I should!!! Of course, I can also blame them for the fact my house is in such a messy disarray to begin with. Wow! I could really get used to not taking any personal responsibility!!

2 comments:

  1. Houses do have the capacity to expand to accommodate whatever we bring into them...until that fateful day when you move. Then the embarrassment sets in, the judging begins as to who collected the most junk, and the fight begins about what to sell, give away, or keep. Been there, done that, don't want to do it again, but probably will when we move from the townhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be moving from one house to two, though, so your problem should be how do I fill all this space now? I will gladly volunteer to come help with that dilemma!!!!

    ReplyDelete