Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Confessions of a Homebody


"I explained to the families that the only way one can receive someone is to first be home to open the door."




That was a quote from the psychologist who has been attending to the needs of the miners who have been trapped for over two months beneath the surface of the earth in Chile. Now that rescue is imminent, tensions are rising among the family members who have stood vigil for all this time. His statement was meant to give them all a reason to take a break from the stress of waiting and watching for their loved ones. But the statement sort of rekindled a flame in me.





Jesus stands at the door and knocks. I have to be home to open the door for him.



'Home' is more than just the structure - it's the spiritual part of the structure; the guts that aren't held together with nails and wood. 'Home' is why people return to the structure, hoping someone is there to open the door.



So, I'm content to be a homebody. I'll not only leave the light on but I'll try and be there to open the door, too.

2 comments:

  1. I think we all want to be "home" to open the door. I really enjoy your blog and your thoughts. They are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a homier body than you, and homlier. I love, love, love it when I don't have to do anything, go anywhere, or see anyone. We must be sisters. But my doorbell rang a few minutes ago and I didn't answer it. You've made me realize that I do that too often with Christ too.
    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete