Monday, November 15, 2010

My Agenda Lied



I get a daily agenda sent to my phone every morning. Gives me a heads up as to what lies in wait for me throughout the day. I'm such an all-important, busy person that I really rely on that agenda. Whoosh! Why, I'd  be as lost throughout my day as I am trying to find Garretts Popcorn in Chicago! A typical daily agenda reads:




"Work


9am to 6pm"




Yup. Scary, huh? Well let me tell you. My agenda lied to me today. Here's what it looked like by the end of the day:




9:15am:  Phone call from distraught mother/grandmother.


{Details: Grandma is raising her grandson because his mother was killed in an automobile accident by a drunk driver. His dad (her son) is addicted to drugs, alcohol and violence. Grandma and grandson have been staying at a hospital down south because the son/dad was in an accident and is brain dead. Grandma/mom is having to make the decision to take him off life support. How does she tell grandson whose biggest fear is that he will lose his dad just like he lost his mother?}


12:35pm:  Hugs from a happy, crying daughter/mother/grandmother.


{Details: Daughter/mother/grandmother hasn't spoken to her mother for years. She was finally able to do it today. With tears streaming down her cheeks, she couldn't wait to come out and tell me because she knew I cared and that I'd be happy for her and proud of her.}


2:00pm - 3:00pm:  Walk through offices and building trying to decide how we'd get out of the building in case of an emergency.


{Details: See below.}


3:05pm: Discover that we would all hold hands, sing "Kumbaya", and pray for the bucket truck.


{Details: See above.}


4:30pm: Listen to mother and son fight.


{Details: Wish I could tell them about my first two experiences of the day in a way that they would hear and care and appreciate the fact they have each other.}


4:55pm: Talk to mother who is in crisis.


{Details: Mother is my age and lives with her two grown boys. They've had a knock-out, drag-out fight and she didn't feel safe in her home and comes here because people care and can help her figure out solutions to her situation.}


6:06pm: Go home.


{Details: Like my next breath, I take for granted the simple phrase, "I'm going home now."}


6:15pm: Drop on my knees and thank my Heavenly Father for life, for hugs, for safety, for my family, for a floor to drop to my knees on and a roof to keep me safe.


{Details: Self explanatory.}


6:30pm: Put on my pjs and open up a bottle of Max


{Details: Need I say more????}





So grateful you're all in my life and I hope I appreciate all you give to me in love, in friendship, in example, in encouragement and in patience.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a day's worth of work. You are appreciated and loved more than you will ever know. Thank goodness for a loving Heavenly Father who gave us the gospel principles to make life easier, and thank goodness we choose to live those principles. In that regard, life is full of struggles and hardships, too, but easier to understand than those who choose not to live the gospel.

    ReplyDelete