Saturday, February 12, 2011

On the Move . . . Again

It's all in an effort to make peace with this house of mine. But it doesn't help that I've always had a passion for moving and rearranging furniture. Bottom line truly is I'm trying to use this house as a 'whole' and be friends with it.



After all, it's not the house's fault that a crew from the Island of Misfits sold it to us, placed it on its Misfit foundation {literally}, pieced it together and then gave us the go ahead to move in. It would be a horrendously long post if I let myself go on everything that is wrong with this abode of ours and the whole comedy of horrors that actually produced the finished product. Suffice it to say it's important to me now - almost 15 years later - to make peace with it. Which brings us to Saturday night and the family party.



During the day Saturday Mandy and the girls had been helping me move stuff back to my upstairs kitchen. Ever since Nellie and Carter moved out, we've basically been living downstairs and using that tiny kitchen. I promised myself when we got the fridge fixed upstairs, I would start using that kitchen as the main kitchen again. The fridge has been fixed for about a month now.



The issue still remains as to where to have the toy room. Because of the way my house is set up, the only way downstairs is clear at the opposite end of the house so by the time you hear a child in distress, run the length of the house, descend the stairs and run the length of the house again . . . well, who knows what could have happened by then. Neither parents or grandparents want that much distance between children and adults. Someone {who shall remain nameless to protect them from further cussing} threw out the suggestion that we should just move the toy room upstairs . . . now, tonight . . . while everyone was there to help. I looked around and got agreeing nods from the other girls. Alan threw back some comment that was easily interpreted as agreement, too {which totally shocked me}. And so the decision was decided.




I ascended my Tower of Total Power and Attention and made the announcement that we would be moving the toy room upstairs tonight. Then I made the mistake of saying, "So each of you kids go grab a drawer of toys and take them up to the front room." I have never seen nine (9) (IX) children move so quickly in my entire life! And they kept it up all night! There was a break, however, when they were working so fast, they overwhelmed Grampa and Joe who were trying to move the stuff out of the room upstairs. And they all earned some Granny Bucks! I'm afraid, however, when I get Alan's bill, he will break Granny's Bank & Trust! The Toy Room still isn't totally put together all the way {and, by the way, neither is the upstairs kitchen} but there's a huge chunk done. So, I'm still accepting volunteers for help and assistance!







One of the more eager faces






Another eager face




Reagan would have helped if she could have

gotten headed in the right direction!






Aspen would have helped, too, except her

hands were a little occupied hanging onto

whoever she can sweet smile into walking

her around wherever she wants to go!


Here are some random pictures of the troops. I do believe Mariah was heard to say something about feeling like a slave. And at one point Carter came down for another load and said, "I still don't understand why we're moving it all upstairs?" I think he'd been upstairs listening to Grampa talk to whichever other adult males were up there.   






Mariah and Garrett with a load

 




Brian with his very literal 'drawer'






Hunter, Brian and Jodi






Carter, Colton, Mariah






Garrett and a load

 




Layne, Hunter and Carter loaded up






Jodi and Mariah



Thanks for all the help! Everyone was still going strong when we made them stop and eat their ice cream and cookies {thanks for the yummy homemade strawberry ice cream Krisy and the yummy cake mix cookies Amber}. And, P.S., Adam, since you're a contractor, I need you to figure out how we can put some stairs in a more central part of the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment