Monday, March 21, 2011

Breadsticks and Les Mis

Amber brought her kids and came to Sacrament Meeting with us and then stayed for the afternoon. Lasagna and bread sticks for dinner. It was fun to have Hunter help make the dough for the bread sticks and even more fun {in a nostalgic sort of way} to have Amber help me make the actual bread sticks and the lasagna. Hesitatingly invited Nate and Krisy and the boys to come and eat with us. Krisy makes killer bread sticks - that's the reason they were invited 'hesitantly' - I knew mine didn't compare.



They come in and I {being me} immediately start apologizing for my bread sticks, reminding them {or warning them} they will not be as good as Krisy's. Tyler, standing by his parents, pipes up with, "Are you going to tell her or should I?" I, of course, get all excited and say, "You brought your bread sticks?" Krisy is shaking her head in a negative response and Tyler verbally replies for her, "She's pregnant!" It took most of the afternoon for me to latch onto that and so my reaction was sporadic at best. I was hung up on the fact we were really going to have to eat my bread sticks and just couldn't switch lanes quick enough.





Flipping through the channels tonight I ran across the 25th anniversary musical edition of Les Miserables on one of the PBS stations. As I'm watching it, I realize there's going to be the dreaded and lengthy interruptions for fundraising throughout and that's when it dawns on me. I own the DVD! I've read the book {the condensed version}, watched the movie version and wore out Joe's music CD listening to the songs. But I have never watched the actual musical version.






Can I just say, "Holy inspiring evening!" What a mirror of mortal life! Redemption, forgiveness, love, agency, second chances, atonement, compassion, charity, sacrifices, battles {spiritual and otherwise} with barricades we hide behind, and amazing talent! I've loved the song, "Bring Him Home", since Joe's high school choir class sang it under the direction of a special conductor down in Salt Lake {I want to say it was Moses Hogan but I might be making that name up}. That song always had multiple meanings for me but when it was sung at the end of the musical, with some word changes, as Valjean's plea to God to take him home, an even deeper meaning was added.  





  • To love another person is to see the face of God.



  • Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.



  • Somewhere beyond the barricade is there a world you long to see?





So, an old woman's words of advice tonight? Watch the musical version of Les Miserables, at least once and don't apologize for your bread sticks so loudly that you don't hear the more important messages that are being shouted at you!

3 comments:

  1. I like how you just slipped in the fact that Krisy is PREGNANT. I thought there would be a whole post dedicated to just that. And I agree...Krisy's breadsticks are yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I don't make breadsticks (they would have been store bought) and I am not pregnant (thank goodness), but congratulations, Krisy. The Hansen family is definitely growing by leaps and bounds. Maybe this one will be your girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, now that I have opened mouth and inserted hip, you know where my ache is. Of course I know you are the Christensen family. DUH! Woe is me. The motto for this winter is: Arthur It Is. I have been invited to join the Arthur Itis Club. Sounds better than the SASS Club. :)
    Congrats! Nate and Krisy. We are happy for you.

    ReplyDelete