Saturday, July 2, 2011

Teach a Child to Fish . . .


“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime.”





I guess I could add to that with:





"Teach a child to fish; and that child will have memories for a lifetime."





It was fun to finally camp where there was good fishing and what fish were caught could be kept.


I, even I {as in me, Janis, Grandma} finally learned how to gut a fish. I'm just about to the point where I could maybe take up fishing again, but not quite. I'd have to be able to fish somewhere where I could keep what I caught {the power of positive thinking in action - I'm assuming I'd catch something} and I'd have to fish far, far away from anyone who might be inclined to try and make me fish their way. Hmmm. I wonder who I might possibly be talking about??? It was fun to see the kids get so excited about catching a fish and I was doubly amazed at the patience they could have to sit and watch a bubble floating on the water and then jerk their pole.





Here's just a few of my favorite fishing pictures accumulated over all three days of fishing. All the kids ended up catching at least one fish. I think Jodi and Carter caught the most overall. Finally, on Saturday evening, Grampa went out by himself and caught two fish. I was a little worried that he was going to be out-fished the entire time!



















Jodi & Mariah fishing on the left and Jodi with the first catch of the trip on the right.













Brian getting some pointers from his dad











Brian getting some tips and pointers {and a stiff neck} from Grampa. He was fascinated with Grampa's flies, too.










All the kids have a good casting technique.









Carter is learning well from Gramps. He went out at

7:30am Friday & Saturday morning & stayed till

close to lunchtime. The hours spent with Grampa

are paying off, though.









Proof that I really was trying to learn how to gut a fish. I figured

I can chop up a whole chicken. How much worse could a fish be?

If they weren't so hard to hold onto and didn't have those

stupid sharp teeth . . .









Jodi and her catch









Carter with his catch









Jodi & Mariah cleaning a fish while Joe watches.

Mariah was obsessed with wanting to find the

hearts for some reason. Ask Nellie about how

she found out about that little obsession!









Kudos to Grampa who so willingly helped all

the grandkids! Not only has he taught them to

fish, but they can all tell fish stories almost

as good!






Carter is learning what it means to clean your

own fish. Thanks to Uncle Joe for being so

patient and teaching him (and me)!






Four fish guts later!






Carter is taking his fish cleaning responsibility

very serious!












Mariah, Brian, Jodi and Carter with their trophy fish






Lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment