Wednesday, October 5, 2011

More Specifically Speaking

I don't need to waste my time learning a foreign language. I just need to learn to use the one I have been speaking all my life in a more efficient, productive and understandable way.



Old Case in Point: When the kids were little {but old enough to do chores}, I asked them to load the dishwasher, leaving all the big stuff for me and I'd wash it the old fashioned way. Well, when I got home, I realized they had obviously determined "big stuff" meant pretty much anything larger than the silverware. I should have said "pots and pans".



New Case in Point: I've dropped hints around of several things I'd like to fix/update/repair/replace/do-over in the house. One of which has been that I would like the basement entry way covered.









Evidently what I should have been saying was, "I would like a roof over the basement door. A roof which has adequate slope to it so the water will run off to either side and not puddle at the base of the door. A roof which is held up by a wall-like structure. The entire finished structure should be inviting and still allow access to the basement through said door without having to drop down on your belly and do the sniper crawl."





Always learning.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that's funny. Maybe after you explain it three times it will work. Good luck in the project. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! It's better seeing it in person and hearing 3 little boys reactions to it. :)

    ReplyDelete