Sunday, February 19, 2012

Night Light Philosophy 101



A million and one captions came to mind as I looked at this phenomenon. Like, "This is you when you try and cut back on Pepsi Max" or as a disclaimer for all the medications you see on the commercials, like "If you notice increased meltdowns, see your doctor at once, as this could be a sign of a more serious side effect." What could be more serious than spontaneously combusting?



Truth is, Aspen brought this night light into me the other day. It's been plugged in in one of the bedrooms downstairs. Evidently a bed with a green blanket over it has been pushed so close to the light that it began to suffocate it. I'm thinking this could be me in one of my claustrophobic moments. It's certainly what I feel like during a worst case scenario! Not only did the blanket keep the heat in, it also must have covered the sensor so the light was staying on constantly instead of the usual flickering on and off as needed.



So, my first reaction was to scold Aspen for playing with - and pulling out - the night lights. Then when I could see it didn't look right and got a closer look, I began to think how grateful I am that my house has not lit up the night sky or burned to the ground while we were at work.



This is also a visual as to why I believe in mental health days or moments or whatever I can get. If I'm crowded and suffocating and burning constantly, I have serious meltdowns. Almost as bad as the Wicked Witch of the West in Oz. This all led up to me identifying, and choosing to share, a little tidbit I believe in.




Night Light Philosophy 101 (According to Sinaj*):

We, as eternal Night Lights, were not created with the expectation that we 'let our light shine' 100% all of the time. Night Lights of our type have internal sensors and, therefore, can strive to shine when it's dark and someone might need a comforting reminder of the opposite of darkness. But then Night Lights need to have a chance to cool off and recharge those internal sensors.



Sometimes I need to be reminded of my own philosophies.





*Janis spelled backwards. Has a more philosophical ring to it. Maybe that will become my pseudonym when I want to philosophically ramble with pseudonymity!

No comments:

Post a Comment