Tuesday, April 17, 2012

April 17th



Dear Mom,


It's your birthday today. It so happened I was driving to Springville to listen to Betty give one of her great presentations in Relief Society. The weather was rainy and messy all the way down and the wipers weren't working that wonderfully and it was all I could do to keep my eyes on the air space directly in front of my front bumper. I had to keep reminding myself to look farther down the road so I could anticipate what turns and shifts were going to be expected of me.


And I thought of you. I sense you maybe just kept going day to day, keeping your attention focused on what lay directly in front of you, when all of a sudden you looked up and the lanes were shifting and exiting and merging and you had no one physically by your side to tell you which way to go. You sure ended up on roads taking you places you never anticipated, I'm sure. And I guess that's why, after you got your drivers license, you always had someone in the Edsel watch out for "Exit Only" lanes and merging lanes - so you wouldn't be caught off guard again.


You did it, though. You made your choices at each lane change and made the best of what was down that road. I have good kids who have made good choices, too, and that's due in large to the part of you that's in them. You would be proud of them and the awesome people they married.


Oh, yeah, and thanks for giving all these amazing, beautiful grandchildren that extra hug before they left! They'll need all the extra help they can get on this Road of Life. You thought the freeway was crazy and intimidating back in your day . . . you should see it now!


Well, that's all I have to say. And, well, Happy Birthday from my heart to yours.

2 comments:

  1. Love you, too, mother. You were the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see you and Amber in that picture. I remember that Grandma Goodsell said for me to "take care of the Nellie that she knows and loves". I hope I have done that. Love her and I love you, Mom!

    ReplyDelete