Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Surprising List

Lame, I know, but I was taking my semi-annual bath the other night. A fleeting thought ran through my brain right before water filled my ears and overflowed into my eyes and nose and I had a small panic attack. At any rate, the fleeting thought was: how grateful I am for baths.



Now, coming from someone who hates water and was still fearfully hyperventilating, that's pretty huge. But I've always loved my flaming hot baths behind a locked door and a good book. When the kids were little, that was my 'alone' time.



Anyway, after thinking how grateful I was for my bath, I continued my list and was amazed at how big it got. Here's what I came up with in just a few minutes:


I'm grateful -


  • I can take a bath

  • I have a body to wash

  • I have enough self esteem to want to take a bath

  • I have enough brains to know I need to take a bath

  • My joints still work good enough to get in the tub

  • My joints still work good enough to get out of the tub

  • My health is good enough that I can bathe myself

  • I have eyes to get soap in

  • I have legs to gouge with my razor

  • I have running water

  • I have clean water

  • I have clean, hot, running water

  • I have a hot water heater so I don't have to boil the water first

  • There's snow pack in the mountains that melts and fills the reservoirs

  • I don't have to ration the water

  • I have indoor plumbing

  • I have a house with a bathroom

  • I have a bathroom with a lock on the door so the boogeyman doesn't bother me

  • I have a bathroom with a heater in it to enjoy baths even when it's cold

  • I have hair to wash

  • I have hands to wash my hair

  • I can still breathe even when I get water in my face {in spite of the fact I panic every time}

  • I can afford to buy soap and shampoo

  • I have soft towels and wash clothes

  • For drains that take my dirty water away for me



Maybe it's not impressive to anyone else, but I was amazed at how long of a list of things to be grateful for I could come up with for something that is so inconsequential and such a minor part of my hour, my day, my week, my life as taking a bath. I can't even begin to imagine how long my list would be if I tried to list all the things I have to be grateful for in a whole day! There's definitely a grundle of things I take for granted!



Gratitude - One more thing I can definitely be better at!

No comments:

Post a Comment