Sunday, July 1, 2012

Flat Tired




I truly believe everything happens for a reason. This curtain blowing out the trailer window is no exception. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. Janis forgot to shut the window. Ha, ha! This window is notorious for sliding open as are moving down the road. There's no lock on it so it's fairly inevitable that it's going to happen no matter who is in charge of shutting the trailer up!





We were headed home from camping at Clear Creek when LOML suddenly pulls off the side of the road. Well, not suddenly as in screeching brakes and sharp turns or anything. Just suddenly as in not traveling in the normal lane of traffic anymore and gravel crunching under the tires as he comes to a stop at a wide spot on the shoulder of the road.





When I asked him what was wrong, he just said the window was open. I immediately got defensive, stating unequivocally that I know I shut and locked the windows. He calmly explained which window it was and I calmed down, except that he's never paid enough attention to it to pull over and shut it. We're usually home or to camp when we realize it's jiggled open and so I go in and brush the dust off my bed and slide it shut.





So, LOML gets back in the truck and starts slowly on down the road, mumbling under his breath, "Gotta flat tire, gotta flat tire". Okay, I'm officially confused because normally, when you get a flat tire, you stop said vehicle with the flat tire and get out a jack and tire iron and start to loosen and remove lug nuts on said wheel with the flat tire. You don't keep rolling down the road. That's when he explains it's not that flat yet and we'll be okay to get to a better spot to change it. He finally pulls off on a driveway sort of thing in front of someones ranch. And, yes, LOML knows every ranch owner out here in the desert.





 











He actually had it changed in record time. I guess it makes a difference when the tread hasn't torn off and ripped off the wiring and a big chunk out of the bottom of the trailer.



This is the point where LOML says, "This jack was the best investment I've made!" I'd have to agree with that - if only for the trailer! Otherwise we'd have flat out left this trailer on the side of the road a long time ago!



The Rest of the Story:  LOML took the tire into get it fixed and was told it was toast, history, flat out dead. He was also told he was lucky it didn't totally blow out - that's what it should have done. So, the window jiggling open enough for the curtain to blow out so LOML would notice it - well, it happened for a reason!





Oh, and based on a picture I was sent the next day, I now not only get a new roof vent but also a new tire for my birthday present!


1 comment:

  1. I happen to like the yellow duct tape vent better. I'm glad you got to have a fun time camping with your family for your birthday, & that your tire didn't blow. :)

    ReplyDelete