Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My Possessed Navigation Tool

I got to spend part of the day with Joe, Mandy and Mariah while they were at Primary Children's Hospital for Mariah's checkup. I'll take whatever I can get! I decided to use the trip for double duty and learn to use the navigation tool on my smart phone {which actually makes me feel pretty dumb most of the time}.



I plugged in where I wanted to go - Primary Children's Outpatient Facility in Riverton. It immediately established a red line on the map and pointed me in the direction to head. I was thinking I'd maybe have some time to kill so I searched for any Joann's stores in the vicinity and, lo and behold, there was one just a  couple of miles away - the opposite direction, of course. So I plugged that location in also.



I arrived without issue. Basically I was told to go south on I-15 for a bunch of miles until I reached the 12600 south exit. Easy sneezey. Once off the freeway, it was nice being told far enough in advance which way I had to turn so I knew which lane I needed to be in {plus I had been here once before so I had a vague memory of where I needed to be}. As I prepared to turn left so I could then turn into the parking lot of my destination, my friendly electronic voice told me to make a U-turn. Huh? I was within sight of my destination! Why would I want to turn around and go back? All through the parking lot my smart phone was trying to get me to turn this way and that way to get back to the main road, heading east instead of west.



After some disgusting moments, I realized my smart phone wasn't so smart after all! It hadn't realized I intended to stop at my first destination before heading to the other location I had entered into the navigation tool. {Okay, so maybe there was some user error involved - but I'm sure very little}.



I made it. I had a great visit with Joe, Mandy and Mariah and even got to go with her into her appointment. She's responded to the medication amazingly well and it was neat to listen to the relief in her doctor's voice as she told Mariah again and again how good she was doing compared to the first time she came on January 27th. Heavenly Father has been looking out for Mariah and blessed her abundantly!



We killed a little bit of time at a new sporting goods store - Scheels - which was amazingly intimidating and overwhelming. I can't fathom the monetary investment someone had to have to make places like that happen! Anyway, then it was goodbyes and hugs and we went our separate ways - they went south and I headed back north.



I thought I told my navigation tool I wanted to head home. And it did do me some good {because I got lost in some subdivision} getting me where I needed to be to find a freeway entrance. But that was the last good thing that know-it-all little navigation tool did for me for the next 80 some odd miles. Holy out-of-control, like-to-hear-the-sound-of-my-voice robot in a smart phone!



Every freaking exit, she wanted me to get off the freeway and head to some point east. Did I say EVERY freaking exit??? I don't know what I did to get her so off her magnetic center point but I had no clue my directional dyslexia was contagious! Or that a machine could be so effected by it!



One time, as I listened to her instructions, she had me exit the freeway, head north and get right back on the freeway. Unreal! Had I not known better and followed all of her directions, the little red line on the map would have looked as chaotic as the varicose veins in my legs! That image made me chuckle for a minute and then {you know me} I got all deep and thoughtful on the whole experience.



What's the little red line on the map of my life going to look like when all is said and done? I can't even let my mind go there. I can't even come up with how chaotic it's going to look like. Especially compared to LOML's road map which will probably be a single straight line. {How did he ever end up with me? Poor guy!}



Most of my side roads haven't been that bad. Certainly could have been worse. My intentions have always been to go the right way - I'm too easily distracted. Is it possible to have spiritual ADD? Hopefully, through all my rights and lefts and u-turns and re-dos I still end up where I'm supposed to be.



I guess there's another side to this analogy, too. There's a lot of information out there nowadays. A lot of people shouting where we should be going, what we should be doing. I was lucky to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I needed to stay headed north {and I have to admit I did look at the compass in  Dora several times to make sure I was truly headed north} or I may have been convinced to follow some of the instructions little Miss Navigation Tool was throwing out at me. After all, she made it sound official and all - spouting out highway numbers and street names like she'd been there before and was sincerely helping me.



Needless to say, I made it home. The last time she talked to me was when she told me to get on Old Highway 89 and turn right at 1100 South in Brigham City. Yeah, I'd have gone through Sardine Canyon and ended up in Logan. However, I've heard the leaves are beautiful through the canyon. Maybe I should have listened...it wouldn't have been that far off the right road...



I'll never change. I'll never be a straight shot kind of gal.

1 comment:

  1. Glad Mariah is doing well!

    Maybe Dora and Miss Navigation tool should have a play-date, since Dora knows which direction is North but doesn't talk back when you tell her you want to go home.
    Think they'd play nice in the sandbox?

    P.S. I think you have a fantastic spiritual compass. You've helped remind me many times which way I should be going :)

    ReplyDelete