Thursday, August 8, 2013

Snooze vs Dismiss

I know it's a irritation to LOML. But, what's new?? The majority of my habits and idiosyncrasies drive him crazy, so why should the alarm on my phone be any different? Not just the alarm on my phone, but the way I deal with it.



I have a quote on my board at work that says, "Life isn't short on wake up calls. We're just too quick to hit the snooze button". I love the snooze button. Sometimes I'm not so quick to hit it, though. Sometimes I don't hear it. Sometimes I wake up annoyed, wondering why it sounds like a jackhammer is attacking the headboard. Sometimes I actually wake up before it and lay there wondering when the clock app is going to roll over to that magical number and start its little jiggle dance.



I have multiple alarms set strategically. They're strategic in my mind, at least. Mornings are not my favorite part of the day. Never have been. When I was little I remember being woke up to Mom wanting my sheets, the sound of the sprinklers outside or just Mom making her 'cleaning the house' noises. Once I got married and started a family, I woke up to little people wanting a bottle, pushing their way into my bed, or ready to go outside and play.



Now I wake up {sometimes} to "You can't roller skate in a buffalo herd but you can be happy if you've a mind to". Every ten minutes. My whole morning is thrown off if I'm too far away from my phone when it goes off and LOML pushes the 'dismiss' button instead of the 'snooze' button.



Every time my alarm snoozes, I know I have ten more minutes to get that much closer to being ready for work. Or ten more minutes to get a last little backup of sleep. Like plugging your cellphone in for five minutes, thinking that will make the difference in whether the battery lasts through the day or not. Not sure I'm recharging or draining my internal battery, though! If I don't have my ten minute wake-up calls, I trick myself into thinking I have all the time in the world to accomplish my tasks. And I WILL take all the time in the world, too!



This morning I observed that the ten-minute frame is just like the rest of my day {life} - it's relative. The closer the reminders are to the originating time of 6:00am, the longer, more peaceful and soothing the spaces are. When it goes off again, I'm thinking, "Thank you for that luxurious ten minutes of extra peace before I get out of bed!" But the closer the reminders get to the 7:50am alarm {labeled "In Car"}, the closer together they seem to be and the more irritable I am when the suggestion to roller skate in a buffalo herd starts playing. By then I'm thinking, "I'd like to tell you where you can roller skate!"



But, so, I've reached an impasse. I have to wonder if it's better to be setting small, easier to reach goals for my life or stick with all these goals that I might have to wait until the eternities to find out just how poorly I did! I have all these things I want to do and be and yet I never seem to feel any sense of accomplishment.



Maybe I need to keep the long range goals but leave the ten-minute check-ins just like they are and work a little faster during them.



Maybe I just need to learn how to roller skate so I can be happy if I've a mind to!

2 comments:

  1. We wake up to "And I Love You So" and the less time the alarm sounds the better Roger likes it. I can't hit it fast enough for him. So goes retirement! Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad I'm not the only one who has multiple phone alarms set. Mine are called upUpuPUP!, "Seriously time to wake up now" and "time to leave" Though my 'alarm ringtone' is just a stupid chime.

    ReplyDelete