Sunday, March 9, 2014

Two Feet of Faith

My stomach was kinda unsettled Saturday night. Not horrible but enough that it had my attention. Mainly because Hunter has had the stomach flu and I had gotten a text earlier in the evening from Amber saying Aspen was throwing up now and Amber wasn't feeling so good herself. I'd been around them a couple of times before and after they'd gotten sick.



At approximately 3:39am this morning, it started. And there's no one to hold my hair out of the toilet. Thank goodness for elastics! Today has gone by in a blur of sleeping, puking and wondering where the garbage can is. I realized the older I get, it's not so much how fast I can get to the bathroom as it is how fast I can get on my knees!



I had traded with another Relief Society teacher to teach today, too. 6:30am I'm texting the Relief Society president, apologizing as I explain there is no way I will be there to teach. The lesson was on Faith and Repentance. And, even though it has only been two weeks since I last taught, I actually had some good ideas. And I'd had an experience that fit right in.



Last weekend I helped Joe and Mandy out with their kids while Mandy was at a young women retreat and Joe was working. I decided to take off a day early and stay with Betty for the evening. I left after work on Thursday night and headed south. Did I mention it had started to rain?



By the time I hit Willard, I was a nervous wreck. Rain was coming down harder and harder. The wet roads eat up the light from the headlights. Semi trucks were throwing back water and mist from all 18 of their wheels and I swear it was all coming right down on my windshield. The overhead LED signs all warned to "slow down" because there was "standing water" over the road. And all that water that was "standing" on the road made it hard to see the lines and there I was in the middle of four or five lanes of traffic. I'd try and follow tail lights. There was a time or two I'm not sure I was following a car in my lane. I was probably doing subtle lane changes without even knowing it. Fortunately I didn't hear any horns honk or brakes screech as others tried to avoid me.



And I gripped, grasped, clung, with white knuckles, to the steering wheel just as if it were the Rod of Iron. Nothing short of being broadsided from both sides would shake me lose - and even then there might still be a finger or two with joints that would never be straightened out.



Tears were streaming down my cheeks as I cried for rescue from Heavenly Father. I would have turned around many times over but {thankfully} I was with it enough to realize I would still have to drive through it to get home. So why back track? I should just keep moving forward if it's going to be storming both directions.



I was praying to Heavenly Father to just get me out of there. I didn't care how. I even envisioned Him lifting me - car and all - up and out of the mess. Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang style. Then, in the back of my head, I was told to focus. I focused on what I could see instead of all that was out there confusing me. My headlights lit up the road about two feet in front of the hood of my car. That was two feet of reality that I made myself focus on. And after I reached the end of the span of the headlights, another two feet became illuminated. I focused on the next two feet.



I have approximately two feet of faith. And that's pushing it. But, on the other hand, I HAVE TWO FEET OF FAITH! That's two feet that I can build a foundation on.



And, two feet at a time, I made it to the Point of the Mountain, and the rain had stopped by then.



And I thanked my Heavenly Father. Oh, man, did I thank my Heavenly Father. I pulled off at Lehi and had my mini breakdown. Then I was ready to take the next two feet.



And, relying on what little faith I did have, I made it to my destination. No worse for the wear and tear and stress. Maybe a little stronger. Definitely wiser.



That was my experience that I was going to share in Relief Society. An experience that made Faith a little more concrete for me. More specifically, rain on concrete. Ha, ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment